Big Black Horse and the Cherry Tree

Sunday, May 4, 2008

some more of Bonaparte

Great ambition is the passion of a great character. He who is endowed with it, may perform either very great actions, or very bad ones; all depends upon the principles which direct him.

They think I am stern, even hardhearted. So much the better-this makes it unnecessary for me to justify my reputation. My firmness is taken for callousness. I shall not complain, since this notion is responsible for the good order that is prevailing, so that there is nothing that needs to be repressed.

I have recognised the limits of my eyesight and of my legs, but never the limits of my working power.

I have a taste for founding, not for owning.

Even when I am gone, I shall remain in people's minds the star of their rights, my name will be the war cry of their efforts, the motto of their hopes.

I start out by believing the worst.

A man is not dependent upon his fellow creature, when he does not fear death.

The guilt of many men may be traced to over-affection for their wives.

It is a truth that man is difficult to know, and that, if we may not deceive ourselves, we must judge him by his actions of the moment, and for the moment only.

Friendship is but a name.

The extent of your consciousness is limited only by your ability to love and to embrace with your love the space around you, and all it contains.

Remember that a man, a true man, never hates. His rages and his bad moods never last beyond the present moment-like electric shocks.

The strong are good, only the weak are wicked.

Labels:

posted by jusAnotherThinker at 7:32 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home